Monday 24 July 2017

'They are better'

       There are periods in my life when I seem to zone out of everything, when I stop 'feeling' the things I used to 'feel', when I generally stop writing, when I consciously stop creating stuff, because it's starting to feel too much like stress. These times are often accompanied by a social media hiatus as well. I stop putting stuff out there, but then, I never really go offline. I'm always there, looking at other people. And thinking I'm the sorriest excuse for living ever, and thus, worsening my creativity freeze. Times like now.
        One of the things that can push me into this unplanned hiatus is self doubt and comparison with others. Do you do this too? There are times I come on social media and all I can see are friends and strangers looking more beautiful than ever, achieving amazing feats, trying new things. And the natural reflex action is that I look back on my own life, see its seeming 'staleness' and start to feel bad for myself. I stop putting content out there and for days, I stalk and obsess over other people's pages, whom I feel are doing 'better'. I know what my mom would say if she read this, I know what my sisters would tell me:
"....You're wonderfully and fearfully made. You're a masterpiece. You're a king because a King lives in you. You are you, you're not them..."
I know all of these things. But frankly, do we all feel like kings everyday?
I know feelings are fickle things and nothing should ever be based on them. Especially not our self worth. But can I be human today and confess to you that there are times it's a bit of a struggle? Can I? Will you understand?
Is there anyone out there who is feeling small?
Am I the only one who is feeling 'not-good-enough' today?
Is there anyone who looks at others and thinks they're better sometimes?
Is there anyone struggling with self doubt and comparison?
You are not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment